• OLD SCHOOL VIDEO HISTORY (May 26, 1996) – WWF Action Zone
On this day in 1996, the World Wrestling Federation aired an episode of their weekly TV show ‘WWF Action Zone’.
This episode featured matches, promos, highlights & storyline segments on the road to the ‘WWF In Your House 8: Beware of Dog’ PPV.
Here’s the card:
– Vader vs. Bob Holly (From Superstars)
– A “Choose The Path Of The Warrior” Vignette
– Highlights Of An Ultimate Warrior Autograph Signing From New York
– Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Fatu (From Superstars)
– Highlights Of Mankind Attacking A Casket With The Undertaker In It (From Last Weeks Raw)
– Highlights Of The Body Donna vs. The Godwinns (From A Madison Square Garden Show)
– Highlights Of The Feud Between Shawn Michaels And The British Bulldog
– Promo By The New Rockers
– Interview w/ Shawn Michaels While The British Bulldog Has A Match (From Superstars)
– The Ross Report: Interview w/ Jim Cornette
– Can We Talk With The Following Question: Boxers Or Briefs?
• Backstory On Stephanie McMahon Firing A Wrestler Over A Promo
During X-Pac’s Starrcast II Q&A session, Mark Madden revealed a story of Stephanie McMahon firing a wrestler over a promo.
When WWF bought out WCW, they acquired contracts of many wrestlers, including Johnny Swinger. A promo was written for Johnny as his first assignment and this segment was being produced by Stephanie McMahon.
Johnny cut the promo, but didn’t recite it word for word and it didn’t go over with Stephanie. Johnny defended himself by noting how he mentioned all the points that were scheduled to be a part of his promo, but he did so in a way that would fit his character.
Stephanie didn’t like it and fired him on the spot for this.