1. WWE Still Confused About The WWE Championship Match At SummerSlam 2017, Possible Debut During The SummerSlam 2017 Weekend
– WWE Still Confused About The WWE Championship Match At SummerSlam 2017
As we noted before, the original plan for the WWE Championship match at SummerSlam 2017 was for the 16 time WWE World Heavyweight Champion John Cena to challenge “The Modern Day Maharaja” Jinder Mahal for the WWE Championship.
However, that plan changed when WWE thought of doing another match between John Cena & AJ Styles at SummerSlam, this time for the United States Championship. Due to no top babyface being available to face Mahal for the WWE Title at SummerSlam, talks began about the return of WWF Legend Chris Jericho to SmackDown Live and Y2J facing “The Maharaja” for the Title at SummerSlam. But now, it looks like WWE officials are confused about the WWE Title picture and are going back and forth on if Cena should be involved in the WWE Title feud or not.
WWE did tease Cena going for his 17th WWE World Title if he wins against Rusev at Battleground 2017 by posting the following poll:
Who would benefit more from a victory in their Flag Match at WWE Battleground?
- John Cena. The Cenation Leader would prove he still is on top of his game and possibly go for a record 17th World Title run.
- Rusev. A victory over Cena would immediately make The Bulgarian Brute a serious contender for the United States or WWE Championship.
– Possible Debut During The SummerSlam 2017 Weekend
Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer noted that there’s a possibility that former 3 time ROH World Champion Adam Cole debuts at NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn III during the SummerSlam 2017 weekend. Meltzer noted that there’s a new rule where former ROH wrestler aren’t allowed to be in NXT before a 90-day period runs out. By the time SummerSlam 2017 weekend arrvies, Cole will be good to go in NXT according to the 90-day rule.