On This Day In Pro Wrestling History (May 23, 1999) – Owen Hart Passes Away At WWF Over The Edge 1999
On this day in Pro Wrestling history in 1999, Owen Hart passed away due to an accident at the WWF Over The Edge 1999 PPV. He was only 34 years old. Owen was scheduled to make a superhero like entrance from the rafters under his “Blue Blazer” gimmick. His safety harness was removed way too early and he crashed into the ring from a height of 78 feet.
Below is a video of Vince Russo talking about people blaming him for Owen’s death:
Despite’s Owen’s death, the PPV continued. Below are the results from the show:
– WWF Tag Team Championship Match: Kane & X-Pac (c) def. Mark Henry & D’Lo Brown to retain the Titles.
– WWF Hardcore Championship Match: Al Snow (c) def. Hardcore Holly to retain the Title.
– Val Venis & Nicole Bass def. Jeff Jarrett & Debra
– Billy Gunn def. Road Dogg
– Elimination Match: Mankind, Big Show, Test, and Ken Shamrock def. The Corporate Ministry (Viscera, Big Boss Man, Faarooq, and Bradshaw)
– The Rock def. Triple H via DQ
– WWF Championship Match (with Vince & Shane McMahon as special guest referees): The Undertaker def. Stone Cold Steve Austin to win the Title.
Below are the highlights from the main event: