13. Backlash 2017’s Attendance Affected By Its Match Card
If you might have noticed during the Backlash 2017 broadcast, the commentators didn’t announce the attendance for the show. The attendance for NXT TakeOver: Chicago (which took place at the same venue one night before Backlash) wasn’t announced either.
Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer is reporting that most of the upper deck was tarped off for NXT TakeOver: Chicago. Regarding Backlash 2017, there were only a few seats empty, but the venue still wasn’t sold out.
According to reports, WWE sold almost 9,500 tickets for Backlash 2017 after the event was announced. But the ticket sales kind of halted when the match card was announced for the PPV and the final number of tickets that were sold ended up being around 9,800 to 10,000.
Below are the results from Backlash 2017:
– Kickoff Show Match: Tye Dillinger def. Aiden English
– Shinsuke Nakamura def. Dolph Ziggler
– SmackDown Tag Team Championship Match: The Usos (c) def. Breezango to retain the Titles.
– Sami Zayn def. Baron Corbin
– The Welcoming Committee (Natalya, Carmella and Tamina Snuka) def. SmackDown Women’s Champion Naomi, Charlotte Flair and Becky Lynch
– United States Championship Match: Kevin Owens (c) def. AJ Styles via Count-Out to retain the Title.
– Luke Harper def. Erick Rowan
– WWE Championship Match: Jinder Mahal def. Randy Orton (c) to win the Title.