• Brock Lesnar’s Favorite WWE Match Took Place 18 Years Ago Today
On this day in Pro Wrestling history on October 20, 2002, World Wrestling Entertainment aired ‘WWE No Mercy 2002’ LIVE on PPV from the Alltel Arena in North Little Rock, Arkansas.
This pay-per-view featured the Superstars of both WWE brands, RAW & SmackDown!.
The main event of the show featured “The Next Big Thing” Brock Lesnar defeating The Undertaker in a Hell in a Cell match to retain the WWE Championship.
Below are the PPV results:
– World Tag Team Championship: Chris Jericho & Christian (c) defeated Booker T & Goldust
– Torrie Wilson defeated Dawn Marie
– Rob Van Dam defeated Ric Flair
– WWE Cruiserweight Championship: Jamie Noble (c) defeated Tajiri
– Title Unification – World Heavyweight & WWE Intercontinental Championships: Triple H (World Heavyweight) defeated Kane (Intercontinental)
– Inaugural WWE Tag Team Championship: Chris Benoit & Kurt Angle defeated Edge & Rey Mysterio
– WWE Women’s Championship: Trish Stratus (c) defeated Victoria
– Hell in a Cell – WWE Championship: Brock Lesnar (c) defeated The Undertaker
In his Deathclutch book, Lesnar noted that this Hell in a Cell match with Undertaker was his favorite WWE match (credit to awrestlinghistorian on Instagram for the transcript):
“We had our first pay-per-view match in Los Angeles, at the show called Unforgiven. Vince wanted us to do this finish where Taker ends up throwing me through a big set of lights at the top of the stage. I didn’t like it, but I knew we were setting up the rematch, which would be a Hell in a Cell match. That meant my first two pay-per-views as champion would be in the main-event position, which meant I was getting top pay.
That Hell in a Cell match against The Undertaker was my favorite match in WWE. That night, everything just clicked the right way. Taker was on his game and I was ready to go.
People were convinced The Undertaker was either going to beat Brock Lesnar or get his own a$$ beat pretty good. This wouldn’t be just another monthly pay-per-view main event. This was going to be something special. And it was.”
WATCH: Sable (Brock Lesnar’s Wife) Shows Off Her Hot Exposed Butt:
• ON THIS DAY IN WWE HISTORY (October 20, 2006) – WWE Friday Night SmackDown!
On this day in 2006, World Wrestling Entertainment aired an episode of their weekly TV show ‘WWE Friday Night SmackDown!’.
It was pre-taped at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California and featured matches, interviews & storyline segments on the road to the ‘WWE Survivor Series 2006’ PPV.
Here’s the card:
1. Kane vs. MVP
2. Elijah Burke vs. Big Vito
3. Dave Taylor & William Regal vs. Funaki & Scotty 2 Hotty
4. Loser Leaves Smackdown – I Quit Match: Chavo Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio
5. The Undertaker vs. Gregory Helms
6. World Heavyweight Title: King Booker vs. Batista