• Current RAW Star Didn’t Think The WWF Would Sign Him When WCW Closed
During a recent interview on Kurt Angle’s weekly podcast, Old School WCW Legend Rey Mysterio revealed that he did not think the World Wrestling Federation was going to hire him after they bought WCW in March 2001, despite them telling him they would eventually sign him.
Here’s what the former WWE Champion (and future WWE Hall of Famer) had to say:
“So, when the company was bought out I was told right off the bat that they were interested in me but they wanted me to let my WCW contract run out. Once it ended, we would sit down and do business.
I thought that it was a nice way of saying, ‘We’re not interested,’ because a lot of contracts were bought out. Chavo’s, Booker’s, a lot of guys. So, again I’m thinking, ‘Is Vince really gonna open up the doors for me because he doesn’t believe in small guys?’
I would hear that sometimes from Nash, from Hall but I never lost hope and sure enough when that contract expired JR reached out and said, ‘Okay, we’re ready to do business,’ and that’s when I signed. So, they kept their word.”
Rey Mysterio wrestled for Ted Turner’s World Championship Wrestling from 1996 until their final days in 2001 and ended up joining the (now renamed) WWE in the summer of 2002.
WATCH: Stephanie McMahon Shakes Her Knockers:
• ON THIS DAY IN WWF HISTORY (December 30, 1999) – WWF SmackDown!
On this day in 1999, the World Wrestling Federation aired an episode of their weekly TV show ‘WWF SmackDown!’.
It was pre-taped at the Richmond Coliseum in Richmond, Virginia and featured matches & storyline segments on the road to the ‘WWF Royal Rumble 2000’ PPV.
Here’s the match-card:
1. Handicap Match: Test vs. Prince Albert & The Big Boss Man
2. Kurt Angle vs. Rikishi
3. Jeff Hardy vs. Al Snow
4. The Hollys vs. Mae Young & The Fabulous Moolah
5. No Holds Barred Match: The Rock vs. Kane
6. WWF Intercontinental Title: Chris Jericho vs. Chyna
7. Faarooq vs. Bubba Ray Dudley
8. Jacqueline & Viscera vs. Gangrel & Luna
9. Big Show vs. New Age Outlaws & X-Pac