On this day in Pro Wrestling history in 2002, WWF Backlash 2002 PPV took place. The main event saw the top stars of two eras battle it out for the WWF Undisputed Championship when Triple H defended his title against Hollywood Hulk Hogan. Hogan defeated Triple H to become a 6 time WWF Champion, and this was the last “WWF” Title reign as the title was changed to WWE Undisputed Championship on May 6, 2002.
This was the first PPV after brand extension but remained a dual-brand PPV. This PPV also marked the first televised match of Brock Lesnar in the WWF, who would end up destroying Jeff Hardy. The PPV also saw Tajiri winning the Cruiserweight Title while Eddie Guerrero won the WWF Intercontinental Title.
Below are the full results from the PPV and this was indeed a great show with a lot of big names on the card:
– Tajiri (with Torrie Wilson) def. Billy Kidman to win the WWF Cruiserweight Title.
– Scott Hall (with X-Pac) def. Bradshaw (with Farooq)
– Jazz def. Trish Stratus to retain the WWF Women’s Title.
– Brock Lesnar (with Paul Heyman) def. Jeff Hardy (with Lita) via referee stoppage.
– Kurt Angle def. Edge
– Eddie Guerrero def. Rob Van Dam to win the WWF Intercontinental Title.
– The Undertaker def. Steve Austin with Ric Flair as special guest referee.
– Billy & Chuck (with Rico) def. Maven & Al Snow to retain the WWF Tag Team Titles.
– Hollywood Hulk Hogan def. Triple H to win the WWF Undisputed Title.
You can watch the highlights from WWF Backlash 2002 below: