On this day in Pro Wrestling history on July 16, 2000, ECW aired ‘Heatwave 2000’ LIVE on PPV from the Grand Olympic Auditorium in Los Angeles, California. This is actually still a pretty famous PPV that gets talked about till this day, but not because of what you might think, as the product at this time was decent at best, but it’s safe to say that ECW was a sinking ship already by then, so the actual matches & segments weren’t really memorable at all.
The thing most people remember this PPV for, was the rival hardcore-wrestling promotion XPW Xtreme Pro Wrestling having ringside seats, which they got from their promoter Rob Black who sent his wrestlers to invade ECW’s PPV, since he felt L.A. was his territory and at that point in time it kinda was.
The XPW invasion was seen on PPV right before the main event when the entire ECW locker room ran out to confront the XPW guys, which resulted in the invaders ultimately being removed from the building by Security.
The (real life) XPW vs. ECW parking lot brawl that followed wasn’t shown on PPV though and wasn’t taped either, so unfortunately no footage of it exists.
Here are the official PPV results:
– Sal E. Graziano def. Balls Mahoney
– Amish Roadkill & Danny Doring & Kid Kash def. CW Anderson & Johnny Swinger & Simon Diamond
– Jerry Lynn def. Steve Corino
– Chris Chetti & Super Nova def. Angel & Tony DeVito
– Four-Way Dance
Yoshihiro Tajiri def. Little Guido, Mikey Whipwreck, Psicosis
– ECW World Television Championship
Rhino def. The Sandman
– Rob Van Dam def. Scotty Anton
– Stairway to Hell – ECW World Heavyweight Championship
Justin Credible def. Tommy Dreamer