• On This Day In Pro Wrestling History (June 11, 2000) – WCW The Great American Bash 2000
On this day in Pro Wrestling history on June 11, 2000, Ted Turner’s World Championship Wrestling aired ‘WCW The Great American Bash 2000’ LIVE on PPV from the Baltimore Arena in Baltimore, Maryland.
This was the 14th and final one of WCW’s annual The Great American Bash events, although the 1986 & 1987 Great American Bash events were actually tours of several shows with the best matches making it to the VHS’, that made it seem like 1 big event in both years.
There was no Great American Bash in 1993 & 1994, but after WCW was sold to the World Wrestling Federation in 2001, Vince McMahon brought the pay-per-view back in 2004 under the WWE banner.
The results from that night:
– WCW Cruiserweight Championship: Lt. Loco (c) defeated Disqo
– #1 Contenders match: KroniK defeated The Mamalukes
– Ambulance match: Mike Awesome defeated Diamond Dallas Page
– Boot Camp match: G.I. Bro defeated Shawn Stasiak
– Tables match: Shane Douglas defeated The Wall
– Handicap Asylum match: Scott Steiner defeated Rick Steiner & Tank Abbott
– Hollywood Hogan defeated Billy Kidman
– Ric Flair defeated David Flair
– Human Torch match: Vampiro defeated Sting
– WCW World Heavyweight Championship: Jeff Jarrett (c) defeated Kevin Nash
• Former WWE Wrestler Says He Was Scheduled To Return At Royal Rumble 2014
During a recent interview with Chris Van Vliet, former WWE wrestler Matt Morgan revealed that he was scheduled to return as a surprise entrant during the Royal Rumble 2014 match, but he couldn’t do it because his son was born prematurely and his family needed him.
Below is what Morgan said:
“It wasn’t signed, sealed and done but I was going to come back, to my understanding, as a one-off for the Royal Rumble. My son was born January 7th, 2014 and the Rumble was January twenty-something. It was either going to be let’s see how it goes from there or I signed, I forgot. I don’t remember. It feels so long ago. He’s only five years old but it feels like ten years ago he was born now.”