• On This Day In Pro Wrestling History (December 29, 1991) – WWF MSG House Show
On this day in Pro Wrestling history on December 29, 1991, the World Wrestling Federation held a televised house show in the world’s most famous arena, Madison Square Garden in New York City, New York.
This event featured one of the few matches between Hulk Hogan & Ric Flair, that were booked as a test run for their planned WrestleMania 8 main event match, that ended up not happening.
Here are the results from that night:
– The British Bulldog def. The Berzerker
– Handicap Flag
Sgt. Slaughter def. Colonel Mustafa & General Adnan
– Hercules def. Greg Valentine
– The Nasty Boys def. The Bushwhackers
– Skinner def. Jim Powers
– Chris Walker def. The Brooklyn Brawler
– Virgil def. Repo Man via DQ
– WWF Intercontinental Title
Bret Hart (c) wrestled Ted DiBiase to a time limit draw
– Hulk Hogan def. Ric Flair via count-out
• Massive WrestleMania 34 Opponent Being Planned For John Cena
As we noted before, 16 time WWE World Heavyweight Champion John Cena is currently the favorite to win the Royal Rumble 2018 match.
This led to speculation that Cena would most probably face AJ Styles for the WWE Championship at WrestleMania 34 (in a rematch of their Royal Rumble 2017 match), with the storyline being Cena will be chasing his record 17th WWE World Title win.
However, Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer noted that Cena won’t be facing Styles at WrestleMania 34 as Cena is in a “much bigger match than Styles”.
Meltzer said that Cena’s WrestleMania 34 opponent is expected to be one of the following big names:
– The Undertaker
Cena’s WrestleMania 34 angle might begin on the 25th anniversary episode of Raw on January 22, 2018.
It’ll be interesting to see how Cena won’t be involved in a Title picture despite being the favorite to win the Royal Rumble match.
We’ll keep you updated regarding this.