On this day in wrestling history in 1993, WWF WrestleMania IX took place. marked the return of Hulk Hogan to in-ring action after WWF WrestleMania VIII as he teamed up with Brutus Beefcake, together known as The Mega Maniacs, to face Money Inc. with the WWF Tag Team Championship on the line.
The main event saw Bret Hart defending his WWF Championship against the 1993 Royal Rumble winner Yokozuna. Yokozuna won the WWF Title and Hulk Hogan came out after the match was over. Hogan challenged Yokozuna for the title and was successful. This marked the second WWF World Title change of the night as Hulkster became a 5 time WWF World Heavyweight Champion (you can watch Hulkster’s title win in the video embedded below).
The event took place at the Caesar’s Palace and was billed as ‘The World’s Largest Toga Party’. Below are the results from the PPV:
* Tito Santana defeated Papa Shango
* Tatanka (with Sherri Martel) defeated Shawn Michaels (with Luna Vachon) via countout (Michaels retains the WWF Intercontinental Title)
* The Steiner Brothers (Rick & Scott) defeated The Headshrinkers (Fatu & Samu) (with Afa)
* Doink The Clown defeated Crush
* Razor Ramon defeated Bob Backlund
* Money Inc. (Ted DiBiase & IRS) defeated The Mega-Maniacs (Hulk Hogan & Brutus Beefcake) (with Jimmy Hart) via DQ to retain the WWF Tag Team Titles
* Lex Luger defeated Mr. Perfect
* The Undertaker (with Paul Bearer) defeated Giant Gonzalez (with Harvey Wippleman) via DQ, in a match considered 1 of the worst in WWF/E history
* Yokozuna (with Mr. Fuji) defeated Bret Hart to win the WWF Title, only to lose it almost immediately to Hulk Hogan, who becomes the 1st 5-time WWF Champion