• ON THIS DAY IN WWF HISTORY (January 11, 1999) – WWF RAW IS WAR (Corporate Royal Rumble)
On this day in 1999, the World Wrestling Federation aired another episode of their weekly TV show ‘WWF RAW IS WAR’.
It was broadcasted from the Compaq Center in Houston, Texas and featured matches, interviews & storyline segments on the road to the ‘WWF Royal Rumble 1999’ PPV.
Here’s the card:
1. No.1 Contenders Match (Tag Titles): Jeff Jarrett & Owen Hart vs. New Age Outlaws
2. Luna vs. Gillberg
3. WWF European Title: X-Pac vs. Al Snow
4. WWF World Heavyweight Title: Mankind vs. Kane
5. Triple H vs. Edge
6. D-Lo Brown vs. Mark Henry
7. “Corporate Royal Rumble” Battle Royal for the #30 Spot in the Royal Rumble
• Original Plan For United States Title Change Revealed
According to the Wrestling Observer, Humberto Carrillo was originally planned to defeat AJ Styles to win the United States Championship.
However, Carrillo lost steam on the road to Survivor Series, where Styles got involved in an angle with the Intercontinental Champion and the NXT North American Champion.
This led to WWE officials changing plans and booking Rey Mysterio to defeat Styles for the US Title.
Carrillo is once again being built up to go up against the United States Champion, who this time is Andrade:
“The title change wasn’t a change of plans. Andrade was planned for the Title, which is why he lost twice to Humberto Carrillo, to get Carrillo into the US Title chase.
That was planned several weeks back but the NXT angle with AJ Styles led to some changes and Carrillo lost steam, so they went with Mysterio.”
WATCH: Girl Plays With Paige’s Juggs: