19. On This Day In Pro Wrestling History (July 17, 1994) – Hulk Hogan Makes His In-Ring Debut In WCW
On this day in Pro Wrestling history on July 17, 1994, Hulk Hogan made his in-ring WCW debut at Bash At The Beach 1994 PPV. In the main event of the PPV, Hulk Hogan faced Ric Flair for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship. This was the first ever televised match between the two and the PPV ended up becoming the most watched WCW PPV at that time.
4 Titles were defended on the show, and 2 of them changed hands. Pretty Wonderful (Paul Roma & Paul Orndorff) defeated Cactus Jack & Kevin Sullivan to become the new WCW World Tag Team Champions & Hulk Hogan defeated Ric Flair to become the new WCW World Heavyweight Champion in his first ever WCW match. Below are the results from the show:
– Lord Steven Regal def. Johnny B. Badd to retain the WCW World Television Championship
– Vader def. The Guardian Angel by DQ
– Terry Funk and Bunkhouse Buck def. Dustin Rhodes and Arn Anderson
– Steve Austin def. Ricky Steamboat to retain the WCW United States Heavyweight Championship
– Pretty Wonderful (Paul Roma and Paul Orndorff) def. Cactus Jack and Kevin Sullivan to win the WCW World Tag Team Championship
– Hulk Hogan def. Ric Flair to win his 1st WCW World Heavyweight Championship
Hulk Hogan’s WrestleMania 1 tag team partner, Mr. T, was in Hogan’s corner for his first WCW match at this PPV. NBA Star Shaquille O’Neal was in attendance for the PPV. Wrestling Legend Antonio Inoki was also in attendance and received an award for his contributions to Pro-Wrestling.
You can watch the Hogan vs. Flair main event in full length below: