• On This Day In Pro Wrestling History (January 19, 1997) – WWF Royal Rumble 1997
On this day in Pro Wrestling history on January 19, 1997, the World Wrestling Federation aired their annual ‘Royal Rumble’ event LIVE on PPV from the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas.
This was the first Royal Rumble match out of three (97,98 & 01) that was won by “Stone Cold” Steve Austin, but he won this one in a very controversial way as he was originally eliminated but the referees did not see it.
– WWF Intercontinental Championship: Hunter Hearst Helmsley (c) defeated Goldust
– Ahmed Johnson defeated Faarooq by DQ
– Vader defeated The Undertaker
– Canek, Héctor Garza & Perro Aguayo defeated Fuerza Guerrera, Heavy Metal & Jerry Estrada
– Stone Cold Steve Austin won the 30-man Royal Rumble match
– WWF World Heavyweight Championship: Shawn Michaels defeated Sycho Sid (c)
• Sheamus To Be Involved In A Major Match At WrestleMania 36?
There are rumors going on that Braun Strowman is going to capture the Intercontinental Championship from Shinsuke Nakamura soon and this would then lead to an Intercontinental Championship match between Strowman & Sheamus at WrestleMania 36.
During a recent interview with Gary Cassidy, Sheamus made it clear that he’s back to win the Intercontinental Championship:
“Mate, I want the Intercontinental Championship. I don’t care who has it. I don’t care whether it’s Shinsuke Nakamura or whether it’s Braun Strowman, that’s the title I want.
That’s #1 on the list this year. It’s all I’m thinking about. It’s the last piece to my collection of the WWE Championships.”
As of this writing, Strowman and Nakamura are currently scheduled to be a part of the Men’s Royal Rumble 2020 match, and Sheamus will face Shorty G in a singles match at Royal Rumble 2020.
WATCH: Super Hot Video Of WWE’s Newest Diva – Scarlett Bordeaux: