• On This Day In Pro Wrestling History (July 17, 2011) – CM Punk Wins WWE Title & “Leaves” WWE
On this day in Pro Wrestling history in 2011, Money in the Bank 2011 PPV took place.
The main event saw John Cena defend the WWE Title against CM Punk, whose WWE contract ended that night (kayfabe).
Daniel Bryan won the SmackDown Money in the Bank Ladder match which guaranteed a World Heavyweight Championship contract, while Alberto Del Rio won the Raw Money in the Bank Ladder match. Christian won his second World Heavyweight Championship in WWE when he defeated Randy Orton via disqualification. There was a stipulation that if Orton got disqualified, he would lose the title.
CM Punk won the WWE Title in the main event when he defeated John Cena. According to storyline, his contract with WWE ended that night and he left with the WWE Title. A new WWE Champion was crowned a week later on Raw and CM Punk also returned on that episode.
Below are the results from the PPV:
– Daniel Bryan def. Kane, Sin Cara, Wade Barrett, Cody Rhodes, Justin Gabriel, Heath Slater & Sheamus to become SmackDown’s Mr. Money in the Bank.
– Kelly Kelly def. Brie Bella to retain the WWE Divas Title
– Mark Henry def. Big Show
– Alberto Del Rio def. Rey Mysterio, Kofi Kingston, Alex Riley, R-Truth, The Miz, Evan Bourne & Jack Swagger to become Raw’s Mr. Money in the Bank.
– Christian def. Randy Orton by DQ to become the new World Heavyweight Champion (Stipulation: If Orton got Disqualified, he would lose the title).
– CM Punk def. John Cena to become the new WWE Champion
Vince McMahon ordered Raw’s Money in the Bank winner, Alberto Del Rio, to come out and cash in the contract on CM Punk, in order to keep the Title in WWE only if Del Rio won, but the match never started as Punk kicked Del Rio in the head and left the arena with the WWE Title.
CM Punk debuted the “Best in the World” T-Shirt at this PPV and got a huge reaction when he came out for his match. This was the last time he used his “This Fire Burns” theme.
You can watch his entrance below:
• Update On Returns Of Multiple Injured WWE Stars
Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer gave an update on the return of multiple injured superstars to the ring:
– Jason Jordan, who underwent a neck surgery back in February, has successfully healed up. He will be returning to WWE once the creative time figures out a storyline for him.
– Dean Ambrose is almost ready to return to the ring. He will be back in the ring by the end of Summer around September.
– Charlotte Flair has undergone a surgery for ruptured breast implants. Charlotte noted during an appearance on Maria Menounos’ podcast that she’ll be cleared to return to in-ring action on July 31st.