• OLD SCHOOL VIDEO HISTORY (May 8, 1993) – WWF Mania
On this day in 1993, the World Wrestling Federation aired an episode of their weekly TV show ‘WWF Mania’.
It featured pre-taped matches, interviews & storyline segments on the road to the ‘WWF King of the Ring 1993’ PPV.
The card can be found right here:
– Clip of Bam Bam Bigelow / Tatanka incident (Superstars 4/24/93)
– Mania Exclusive – Kamala vs. Bam Bam Bigelow (Worcester, MA 5/4/93)
– Lex Luger vs. Bob Backlund – KOTR Qualifier (Challenge 5/2/93)
– Mr. Perfect vs. Doink – KOTR Qualifier (Superstars 5/1/93)
– Shawn Michaels vs. Hacksaw Jim Duggan – joined in progress (Raw 5/3/93)
– King of the Ring Report
– Mr. Hughes vs. Mark Ming (Challenge 5/2/93)
– Raymond Rougeau interviews Undertaker/Paul Bearer (Superstars 5/1/93)
– Jim Ross in studio
• WWE Brand Split Possibly Ending If Wild Card Rule Fails
Vince McMahon introduced the “Wild Card” rule this week. This rule allows 4 RAW wrestlers to show up on SmackDown and 4 SmackDown wrestlers to show up on RAW.
WWE introduced this rule to generate some interest and make their product unpredictable. Also, some top stars can appear on both shows and help with TV viewership.
According to Slice Wrestling, if this wild card rule fails to increase viewership for RAW and SmackDown (which could quite possibly be the case), then WWE could officially end the brand split as many people within WWE believe that the brand split is no longer effective in sustaining fans’ interest.
We’ll keep you updated regarding this.