• On This Day In Pro Wrestling History (January 19, 1991) – WWF Royal Rumble 1991
On this day in Pro Wrestling history on January 19, 1991, the World Wrestling Federation aired their annual ‘Royal Rumble’ event LIVE on PPV from the Miami Arena in Miami, Florida.
Despite the rule of “Royal Rumble Winner faces the World Champion at WrestleMania” not being established until 1993, that was still exactly what happened in 1991, when Rumble winner Hulk Hogan went on the wrestle WWF Champion Sgt. Slaughter (who won the belt at the Rumble PPV) at WrestleMania 7.
This is widely considered one of the best Royal Rumble PPVs, including one of the best Royal Rumble matches in history.
On a sidenote, the Mountie/Koko match was edited out of quite a few VHS releases of this PPV.
– The Rockers defeated The Orient Express
– Big Boss Man defeated The Barbarian
– WWF World Heavyweight Championship: Sgt. Slaughter defeated The Ultimate Warrior (c)
– The Mountie defeated Koko B. Ware
– Ted DiBiase & Virgil defeated Dustin Rhodes & Dusty Rhodes
– Hulk Hogan won the 30-man Royal Rumble match
• WWE Hall Of Famer Returns At Live Event & Loses
At last night’s WWE Live Event in San Antonio, Texas, WWE Hall of Famer Kurt Angle made his return for a match and lost to Baron Corbin.
You can watch Angle’s return below:
— WWE (@WWE) January 19, 2019
Below are the results from this Live Event:
– Triple Threat Match: Finn Balor def. Dolph Ziggler & Drew McIntyre
– Intercontinental Championship Match: Bobby Lashley (c) def. Elias to retain the Title.
– Natalya, Sasha Banks, Ember Moon and Bayley def. The Riott Squad and Mickie James
– Baron Corbin def. Kurt Angle
– RAW Tag Team Championship Match: Bobby Roode & Chad Gable (c) def. The Revival to retain the Titles.
– RAW Women’s Championship Match: Ronda Rousey (c) def. Nia Jax to retain the Title.
– Lumberjack Match: Seth Rollins def. Dean Ambrose
WATCH: Dean Ambrose Saves His Wife Renee Young’s Phone On RAW: