• On This Day In Pro Wrestling History (November 26, 1987) – NWA Starrcade 1987: Chi-Town Heat
On this day in Pro Wrestling history on November 26, 1987, Jim Crockett Promotions aired ‘NWA Starrcade 1987: Chi-Town Heat’ LIVE on PPV from the UIC Pavilion in Chicago, Illinois.
This was the 5th out of 18 annual ‘Starrcade’ events that aired between 1983 and 2000.
The first 5 Starrcades (1983-1987) were promoted by Jim Crockett Promotions, while Ted Turner’s World Championship Wrestling (who bought JCP in 1988) promoted all the ones that followed (1988-2000).
On this day in 1987 Jim Crockett Promotions went head-to-head with their competition, when the WWF ran their first ever Survivor Series event LIVE on PPV against the NWA’s annual Starrade, which was also LIVE on PPV that night.
Vince McMahon not only ran directly against the National Wrestling Alliance’s biggest show of the year, he also told several PPV providers, that they would not be allowed to show WrestleMania IV, if they would even feature this year’s Starrcade.
Starrcade 1987 had Ric Flair trying to regain his NWA World Heavyweight Championship from champion Ron Garvin, while Survivor Series 1987 was main evented by a 5 on 5 elimination match featuring Team Hogan vs Team André.
The results are here:
– Eddie Gilbert, Larry Zbyszko & Rick Steiner wrestled Jimmy Garvin, Michael Hayes and Sting to a time-limit-draw
– UWF Heavyweight Championship: “Dr. Death” Steve Williams (c) def. Barry Windham
– Skywalkers match: The Rock ‘n’ Roll Express def. The Midnight Express
– NWA and UWF World Television Championship – Unification: Nikita Koloff def. Terry Taylor
– NWA World Tag Team Championship: Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard (c) def. The Road Warriors via DQ
– Steel Cage – NWA United States Heavyweight Championship: Dusty Rhodes def. Lex Luger (c)
– Steel Cage – NWA World Heavyweight Championship: Ric Flair def. Ron Garvin (c)
• WWE Hall Of Famer Shoots On The Problem With RAW’s Tag Team Division Today
During an appearance on Chair Shots to the Cranium podcast, WWE Hall of Famer Road Warrior Animal talked about the problem with RAW’s tag team division today.
Below is what Animal said:
“Well, what you see is they have a habit of doing with tag team wrestling today, they don’t establish who the top dog tag team is and they don’t ever establish who the heel team is.
Everyone can’t be equal. That’s not life, that’s not reality, that’s not tag team wrestling. They started off with The Revival being strong and now they kill them.
The Authors of Pain, yes they just beat one guy, Seth Rollins, to become tag team champions, but, what have they done before that? They’ve gotten beat!
You can’t keep beating teams and then have them get a token win every now and then. You have to establish who’s the dominant guys.
There is no team that stands out as being the dominant team today. That’s the problem.”