• OLD SCHOOL HISTORY (January 04, 1988) – WWF Prime Time Wrestling
On this day in 1988, the World Wrestling Federation aired an episode of their weekly TV show ‘WWF Prime Time Wrestling’.
It featured pre-taped matches, interviews & storyline segments on the road to the ‘WWF Royal Rumble 1988’ event.
The card can be found right here:
– Jim Duggan vs. Sika (12/26/87; Madison Square Garden)
– Dino Bravo vs. Hillbilly Jim (12/5/87; Philadelphia Spectrum)
– Jacques & Raymond Rougeau vs. The Conquistadors (12/26/87; Madison Square Garden)
– WWF Women’s Champion Sensational Sherri vs. Velvet McIntyre (10/23/87; Paris, France)
– Iron Mike Sharpe vs. SD Jones (12/26/87; Madison Square Garden)
– Bam Bam Bigelow vs. King Kong Bundy (11/17/87; Des Moines, IA; Veterans Memorial Auditorium)
WATCH: ECW Legend Sabu Burns His Hand While Making A Fan Greeting Video:
• WWE Wrestler Recalls Getting Fired From UFC For Calling Out UFC For Allowing Fighters To Use PEDs
During a recent edition of E&C’s Pod Of Awesomeness podcast, former UFC fighter & current WWE NXT wrestler Matt Riddle talked about his relationship with UFC President Dana White, getting fired from UFC & more.
Below are the highlights:
On his relationship with UFC President Dana White:
“Up until him ripping me apart on FOX Sports and being really mean, it was pleasant. Like, it seemed like a really nice work relationship. Everybody in the office seemed to like me. I think before my firing they were upset because, at the time when I was in UFC, they would allow fighters to use a lot of prescribed drugs as long as they had a doctor’s note.
I was prescribed medical marijuana and they didn’t agree with it because it wasn’t federally legal. But they were letting a lot of fighters use prescribed testosterone and prescribed other things. And I was like, ‘well, you’re letting fighters use performance enhancing drugs and I don’t think that’s appropriate.’ And they didn’t want me talking about that.
So that was probably, like, the only back and forth that we had that was negative. Other than that, me and Dana had a great relationship.”
On if getting fired from UFC was devastating:
“Well, of course, I’ll be honest, I just had my third kid (when he got fired). I just had Zach, my son. So I just had my third kid right before that fight, so it was pretty brutal.
But, at the same time, I was already riding a 4 (fight) win streak. I had multiple submission bonuses and stuff like that. So I was doing fine in the sense for money at the time. But yeah I was just like, ‘I want to get signed somewhere.
I want to get fights to be able to keep this ride going because right now I’m top 10 in the world and if I get another win, I can get ranked even higher and keep going and going.’
Once I got fired from the UFC, pro wrestling was an option, but, at the same time, I hadn’t held a World Title yet and I was already ranked top 10 in the UFC, which means I could probably hold a World Title in basically any other company. I just wanted to win a title either in Bellator or Titan FC.”