• OLD SCHOOL HISTORY (December 17, 1988) – NWA World Championship Wrestling
On this day in 1988, Ted Turner’s World Championship Wrestling aired an episode of their weekly TV show ‘NWA World Championship Wrestling’.
This episode from the WTBS Studios in Atlanta, Georgia, featured pre-taped matches, interviews & storyline segments on the road to the ‘NWA Starrcade 1988’ PPV.
The card can be found here:
1. MIDNIGHT EXPRESS vs. SIMANI/EMORY
2. RUSSIAN ASSASSINS vs. STALLION/JONES
3. JUNKYARD DOG vs. TRENT KNIGHT
4. ORIGINAL MIDNIGHT EXPRESS vs. ALLEN/PRICE
5. BARRY WINDHAM vs. RYAN WAGNER
6. DUSTIN RHODES & KENDALL WINDHAM vs. THOMPSON/HOLIDAY
7. EDDIE GILBERT vs. MIKE JACKSON
8. COMMANDOS vs. MULKEY/SWEAT
9. RICK STEINER vs. GEORGE SOUTH
10. VARSITY CLUB vs. ROYAL/HOGAN
11. STING vs. KEITH STEINBORN
12. ROAD WARRIORS vs. WILDE/MILES
• Attitude Era Writer Takes A Shot At Vince McMahon Being Out Of Touch
During an appearance on Truth Or Consequences, WWF Attitude Era writer Vince Russo had the following to say about Vince McMahon being out of touch:
“Vince today is so disconnected with that casual fan. He does now know right now what will bring that casual fan back to wrestling. He doesn’t know. Bro, it’s simple. It hasn’t changed. Freaking listen, listen.”
Speaking of former WWE writers, former WWE writer Brian Maxwell Mann revealed 6 ways in which WWE can improve their RAW product and you can read it below:
“There’s A LOT of ways WWE could change the way they produce programming to make a three hour show work. Here’s a few.
1) Treat RAW as three one hour shows, rather than one three hour program. Figure out ways to make each unique so show doesn’t get stall.
2) Assign specific writers to specific characters/programs. The most experienced ones are given the main event, next tier is IC, and so forth.
3) Have a showrunner who provides finishing touches/keeps a bird’s eye view but DOES NOT write. Like Lorne does on SNL.
4) Rotate characters in and out, keeping the programming fresh/building anticipation.
ex – Monday Night Football doesn’t have the same two teams every week.
5) Announce big segments/matches WEEKS out. SNL reveals guest hosts way in advance.
6) Finally, and most importantly, TRUST the writers. To a person, everyone who I’ve ever met who worked on creative LOVED Wrestling. You have to do that job.
However, the main problem is exactly what I was told when I started there – “at the end of the day, this show has one writer”.”
WATCH: Sasha Banks Gets “Fingered” On RAW: