• On This Day In Pro Wrestling History (January 24, 1999) – WWF Royal Rumble 1999
On this day in Pro Wrestling history on January 24, 1999, the World Wrestling Federation aired their annual ‘Royal Rumble’ event LIVE on PPV from the Arrowhead Pond in Anaheim, California.
WWF promoter Vince McMahon Jr. not only entered this 30-man Royal Rumble match, he did so as the #2 entrant, and – which is much more shocking – even won it.
Below are the results:
– The Big Boss Man defeated The Road Dogg
– WWF Intercontinental Championship: Ken Shamrock (c) defeated Billy Gunn
– WWF European Championship: X-Pac (c) defeated Gangrel
– Strap match – WWF Women’s Championship: Sable (c) defeated Luna Vachon
– “I Quit” match – WWF Championship: The Rock defeated Mankind (c)
– Mr. McMahon won the 30-man Royal Rumble match
• Backstage News On What Vince McMahon Wanted From Lars Sullivan, Update On His Monster Push
According to Fightful, Vince McMahon wanted Lars Sullivan to be ready for Brock Lesnar last year.
WWE officials wanted to build up Lars as a credible threat to Lesnar, but he got injured.
Fightful also noted on how Lars’ past in the adult film industry will most probably hurt his monster push, as Vince will never see him the same way he used to:
“Oh, they know, they know…so the care thing? [Do they care?] When I contacted — well wrestlers contacted me asking if I’d known about it before and I had no clue.
The thing that I was specifically told was he won’t get fired for it, but one person said: ‘Vince might never look at him the same way again’ — because that’s just how Vince is.”