• “Believe it or not” – Ric Flair Reveals Who Told Him About Royal Rumble 1992 Victory
On January 19th 1992 at the Knickerbocker Arena in Albany, New York, Ric Flair became the first person to last over an hours in the annual 30-man Royal Rumble, and ended up winning the match after entering as number 3.
By winning the Royal Rumble, he also won the vacant WWF World Heavyweight Championship, a title Ric held until he lost it to Randy Savage at WrestleMania VIII a few months later.
On a recent episode of his weekly ‘To Be The Man’ podcast, The Nature Boy revealed who ended up informing him that he was going to win.
Here’s what Flair said:
“Believe it or not, Jake Roberts told me that day in the gym and I didn’t believe Jake. He said ‘Congratulations! I heard you’re winning today’. I said ‘what are you talking about?’
I was, it was the last thing I was thinking about. I was just so glad to be away and be with friends that were real.”
WATCH: Ending Of Ric Flair’s Last Match:
• ON THIS DAY IN WWF HISTORY (January 12, 1985) – WWF Championship Wrestling
On this day in 1985, the World Wrestling Federation aired another episode of their weekly TV show ‘WWF Championship Wrestling’.
This episode was pre-taped at the Mid-Hudson Civic Center in Poughkeepsie, New York and featured matches & interviews on the road to the first ever WrestleMania.
You can find the card below:
– Tonga Kid vs. Mike Powers
– Greg Valentine vs. Joe Mirto
– Barry Windham & Mike Rotundo vs. R.T. Reynolds & Mr. X
– Piper’s Pit w/ Adrian Adonis & Dick Murdoch
– Tito Santana vs. Paul Kelly
– Big John Studd & Ken Patera vs. Aldo Marino & Jim Powers