On this day in Pro Wrestling history on August 25, 2002, World Wrestling Entertainment aired ‘WWE SummerSlam 2002’ LIVE on PPV from the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Uniondale, New York.
This was the first annual SummerSlam event under the World Wrestling Entertainment banner, after the WWF/WWE name change earlier that year.
It was the night when “The Next Big Thing” Brock Lesnar won his first ever World Title. He defeated The Rock to become the youngest WWE Champion ever, at the age of 25 (a record that still stands today).
Here’s what Lesnar wrote about this win in his book:
“I’ll always appreciate what Dwayne did for me and my family. Beating The Rock at SummerSlam 2002 made me a true superstar in the eyes of the fans.”
Shawn Michaels also came out of retirement at this PPV.
Here are the PPV results:
– Kurt Angle defeated Rey Mysterio
– Ric Flair defeated Chris Jericho
– Edge defeated Eddie Guerrero
– WWE Tag Team Championship: The Un-Americans (c) defeated Booker T & Goldust
– WWE Intercontinental Championship: Rob Van Dam defeated Chris Benoit (c)
– The Undertaker defeated Test
– Unsanctioned Street Fight: Shawn Michaels defeated Triple H
– WWE Undisputed Championship: Brock Lesnar defeated The Rock (c)
WATCH: Carmella Continues Wrestling After Wardrobe Malfunction: