On this day in Pro Wrestling history on August 3, 1997, WWF SummerSlam 1997 PPV aired from the Continental Airlines Arena in East Rutherford, New Jersey. At this PPV, Stone Cold Steve Austin broke his neck during his match with Owen Hart, but still managed to win the match and become the new Intercontinental Champion.
In the main event of the show, Bret Hart defeated The Undertaker to win the WWF Championship. Shawn Michaels was the special guest referee for this bout and smashed The Undertaker with a Steel Chair during the ending moments of the match and Bret took advantage of this to win the match. Below are the results from the PPV:
– Steel Cage Match: Mankind def. Hunter Hearst Helmsley
– Goldust def. Brian Pillman
– The Legion of Doom def. The Godwinns
– WWF European Championship Match: The British Bulldog (c) def. Ken Shamrock via DQ to retain the Title.
– Los Boricuas (Savio Vega, Miguel Pérez Jr., Jose Estrada Jr., and Jesús Castillo) def. The Disciples of Apocalypse (Crush, Chainz, 8-Ball, and Skull)
– WWF Intercontinental Championship Match: Stone Cold Steve Austin def. Owen Hart (c) to win the Title.
– WWF World Heavyweight Championship Match With Shawn Michaels As Special Guest Referee: Bret Hart def. The Undertaker (c) to win the Title.
You can watch the highlights from SummerSlam 1997 below: