• ON THIS DAY IN WCW HISTORY (June 21, 1997) – WCW Saturday Night
On this day in 1997, Ted Turner’s World Championship Wrestling aired an episode of their weekly TV show ‘WCW Saturday Night’.
This episode featured pre-taped matches & storyline segments on the road to the ‘WCW Bash at the Beach 1997’ PPV.
The card of the show can be found here:
– Harlem Heat vs. Power Company (Dave Power & Dean Power)
– M. Wallstreet (Mike Rotunda) vs. “Jumping” Joey Maggs
– Super Calo & Juventud Guerrera vs. Silver King & La Parka
– Chris Jericho vs. Syxx
– Buff Bagwell & Scott Norton vs. The Giant & “Total Package” Lex Luger
• Edge Wanted A “Streak vs. Streak” Match Against The Undertaker At WrestleMania 24
While speaking to ESPN, WWE Hall Of Famer Edge said that he wanted to face The Undertaker in a Streak vs. Streak match at WrestleMania 24, as both men were undefeated at WrestleMania during that time.
However, plans got changed when WWE decided to make Mr. Kennedy win the Money In The Bank Ladder match at WrestleMania 23, in which Edge was also participating.
“Initially, I was in the Money in the Bank match [at WrestleMania 23], and I was supposed to win that match. That would have kept my undefeated streak at WrestleMania intact. It was changed the week of, with Mr. Kennedy winning it.
I voiced my concern, saying, ‘OK, I understand you want to go a different direction…however, if we are still going this way with Taker next year, to me there’s a lot more intrigue if you have two people undefeated [at WrestleMania]’. [Later], my idea was that [The Undertaker] had never defeated me in any of our matches. So it was, ‘Maybe this guy just has Taker’s number?'”
We also noted earlier that Taker’s wife, Michelle McCool, revealed that WWE wanted Edge to break Taker’s streak at WrestleMania 24, but Edge fought against the decision.