On this day in Pro Wrestling history in 1991, Great American Bash PPV took place.
This was the first PPV produced by WCW after the shocking departure of WCW World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair.
Wrestlers didn’t put much effort into their matches in protest of Flair’s departure & the crowd chanted “We want Flair” throughout the night. Many fans consider this as one of the worst PPVs of the Old School Wrestling era. Lex Luger became the new WCW World Heavyweight Champion when he defeated Barry Windham in a steel cage match at the PPV. Below are the results from the show:
* P.N. News and Bobby Eaton def. Steve Austin and Terrance Taylor in a Capture-The-Flag Scaffold match.
* The Diamond Studd def. Tom Zenk
* Ron Simmons def. Oz
* Richard Morton def. Robert Gibson
* Dustin Rhodes & The Young Pistons def. The Fabulous Freebirds in an Elimination match.
* The Yellow Dog def. Johnny B. Badd by DQ.
* Big Josh def. Black Blood in a Lumberjack match.
* El Gigante def. One Man Gang
* Nikita Koloff def. Sting in a Russian Chain match.
* WCW United States Champion Lex Luger def. Barry Windham in a Steel Cage match to become the new WCW World Heavyweight Champion.
* Rick Steiner def. Arn Anderson and Paul E. Dangerously in a handicap steel cage match.