• On This Day In Pro Wrestling History (March 31, 1985) – WWF WrestleMania 1
On this day in Pro Wrestling history on March 31, 1985, the World Wrestling Federation aired ‘WrestleMania’ LIVE on closed-circuit-television from the Madison Square Garden in New York City, New York.
This was the first ever WrestleMania, where Vince McMahon Jr. put everything on the line. Had it not been a success, the WWF and the McMahon family would have filled for bankruptcy.
The celebrities for this event were Muhammad Ali, Cindy Lauper and Liberace.
Even nowadays WrestleMania is still by far the biggest professional wrestling event on the planet each year.
Here are the PPV results:
– Tito Santana defeated The Executioner
– King Kong Bundy defeated Special Delivery Jones
– Ricky Steamboat defeated Matt Borne
– Brutus Beefcake vs. David Sammartino ended in a double-DQ
– WWF Intercontinental Championship: Junkyard Dog defeated Greg Valentine (c) via countout
– WWF Tag Team Championship: The Iron Sheik & Nikolai Volkoff defeated The U.S. Express (c)
– $15,000 Body Slam Challenge: André the Giant defeated Big John Studd
– WWF Women’s Championship: Wendi Richter defeated Leilani Kai (c)
– Hulk Hogan & Mr. T defeated Paul Orndorff & Roddy Piper
• Ronda Rousey Sets New WWE Record Ahead Of WrestleMania 35
Ronda Rousey captured the RAW Women’s Championship at SummerSlam 2018 by defeating Alexa Bliss in the co-main event of the show.
Rousey has now broken Bliss’ record for the longest single RAW Women’s Championship reign (223 days).
It should be noted that Rousey hasn’t lost a singles match in WWE since her debut. She has only lost one match in WWE so far, which was a tag team match and her partner (Natalya) was forced to tap out in that match.
With Rousey most probably taking a break from WWE after WrestleMania 35 and her WrestleMania 35 match being a Triple Threat match, it looks like she’ll end her current WWE run undefeated in singles competition.