• The 1st Ever World Heavyweight Champion Passed Away 53 Years Ago Today
On this day in 1968, we lost Old School Wrestling Legend “The Russian Lion” George Hackenschmidt at the age of 90 due to a Sepsis.
Born in Estonia, George Hackenschmidt became one of the first big names in professional wrestling history and quite a few historians actually consider him to have been one of the best of all time.
Hackenschmidt became the first ever recognized World Heavyweight Wrestling Champion in 1905, a championship that was the official precursor of what later became the NWA World Heavyweight Championship.
The famous “hack squat” exercise was actually named after him.
In 2016, he was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame as part of their annual Legacy Wing inductions.
† REST IN PEACE GEORGE HACKENSCHMIDT
August 1, 1877 – February 19, 1968
WATCH: Undertaker’s Nose Broken:
You can download our official WrestleFeed mobile app to check out more Wrestling news & Divas content. Tap here to download.
• ON THIS DAY IN WWF HISTORY (February 19, 1985) – WWF Prime Time Wrestling
On this day in 1985, the World Wrestling Federation aired an episode of their weekly TV show ‘WWF Prime Time Wrestling’.
It featured pre-taped matches, interviews & storyline segments on the road to the first ever ‘WWF WrestleMania’ event.
The card can be found right here:
– World Martial Arts Champion Antonio Inoki vs. David Schultz (Schultz and Inoki’s last MSG appearance) (12/28/84; Madison Square Garden)
– The Cobra vs. The Black Tiger (12/28/84; Madison Square Garden)
– Jimmy Snuka & The Tonga Kid vs. Roddy Piper & Bob Orton Jr. (12/28/84; Madison Square Garden)
– Barry Windham vs. Mr. Fuji (12/28/84; Madison Square Garden)
– Mike Rotundo vs. Rene Goulet (12/28/84; Madison Square Garden)
– WWF World Heavyweight Champion Hulk Hogan vs. The Iron Sheik (12/28/84; Madison Square Garden)