• The Most Bought Pay-Per-View In WCW History Took Place 24 Years Ago Today
On this day in Pro Wrestling history on December 28, 1997, Ted Turner’s World Championship Wrestling aired ‘WCW Starrcade 1997’ LIVE on PPV from the MCI Center in Washington, DC.
This was the 15th annual Starrcade event out of 18 that aired between 1983 and 2000, with the first 5 being promoted by Jim Crockett Promotions, before Turner bought the company.
Starrcade 1997 ended up being the pay-per-view with the most buys in WCW history: 700,000 buys!
Here are the results:
– WCW Cruiserweight Championship: Eddie Guerrero (c) defeated Dean Malenko
– Scott Norton, Vincent & Randy Savage defeated Ray Traylor & The Steiner Brothers
– Goldberg defeated Steve McMichael
– Raven’s Rules: Perry Saturn defeated Chris Benoit
– Buff Bagwell defeated Lex Luger
– WCW United States Heavyweight Championship: Diamond Dallas Page defeated Curt Hennig (c)
– Larry Zbyszko defeated Eric Bischoff by DQ
– WCW World Heavyweight Championship: Sting defeated Hollywood Hogan (c)
WATCH: ECW Diva Francine Gets Inappropriately Grabbed By Tommy Dreamer:
• ON THIS DAY IN WWF HISTORY (December 28, 1991) – WWF Superstars of Wrestling
On this day in 1991, the World Wrestling Federation aired an episode of their weekly TV show ‘WWF Wrestling Challenge’.
This episode was pre-taped at the Frank Erwin Center in Austin, Texas and featured matches & storyline segments on the road to the ‘WWF Royal Rumble 1992’ PPV.
Here’s the card:
Owen Hart & Jim Neidhart vs. Brian Donahue & Brian Costello
Rick Martel vs. Dale Wolfe
The Big Boss Man vs. Scrub
Repo Man vs. Larry Sampson
The Legion of Doom vs. The Rockers