• On This Day In Pro Wrestling History (January 24, 1988) – NWA Bunkhouse Stampede 1988
On this day in Pro Wrestling history on January 24, 1988, Jim Crockett Promotions aired ‘NWA Bunkhouse Stampede 1988’ event LIVE on PPV from the Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale, New York.
This was the first and only ‘Bunkhouse Stampede’ event that aired as a pay-per-view.
It was held on the same night as the World Wrestling Federation’s Royal Rumble 1988, which was on free television though.
– NWA World Television Championship: Nikita Koloff (c) wrestled Bobby Eaton to a time-limit-draw
– UWF Western States Championship: Larry Zbyszko defeated Barry Windham (c)
– NWA World Heavyweight Championship: Road Warrior Hawk defeated Ric Flair (c) via DQ
– Steel Cage Bunkhouse Stampede: Dusty Rhodes defeated Arn Anderson, The Barbarian, Ivan Koloff, Lex Luger, Road Warrior Animal, Tully Blanchard and The Warlord
• Triple H Gives An Update On Lars Sullivan’s WWE Status
During a recent media conference call, “The Game” Triple H talked about him being cleared to train after getting injured at WWE Crown Jewel, calling up NXT wrestlers to the main roster, Lars Sullivan & more.
Below are the highlights:
On being cleared to train again after getting injured at WWE Crown Jewel PPV:
“I just got cleared to actually start training. Anyone that’s had a serious injury knows the difference between rehabbing a couple of hours a day and actually training. The difference is trying to get better vs. actually bettering yourself.
So, I just got clearance to start training and I’m excited about that as I sit here right now extremely sore from that training. It was one week ago I got the clearance so the training has already been stepped up. But I’m feeling good.”
On how WWE decides to call up NXT wrestlers to the main roster:
“I don’t have a crystal ball to see. I think there’s thoughts around where talent will move at all times and how that works, it really is a work in progress. It comes down to what’s needed when and how, and we’re constantly evaluating that.
It’s not just a thing where we say, ‘Ok, on this date we’re doing this.’ Sometimes that happens, but more likely than not, if we need it, it happens. If we don’t, it won’t. It just comes down to what’s best for all levels of the product at that time.”
On Lars Sullivan’s WWE status after anxiety attack rumors:
“There’s a lot of speculation and stories about everybody at all times. And it’s a funny thing, if there’s any kind of a glitch in a movement for a moment, it leads to everything being speculated about.
There’s a lot of talk, but Lars is in a good place. Nothing has really changed, we’re moving forward and you’ll know when you see it. But nothing has changed.”
WATCH: Bayley’s Buns Visible In A See Through Dress: