• On This Day In Pro Wrestling History (June 8, 1997) – WWF King of the Ring 1997
On this day in Pro Wrestling history on June 8, 1997, the World Wrestling Federation aired ‘King of the Ring 1997’ LIVE on PPV from the Providence Civic Center in Providence, Rhode Island.
This was the 5th annual “King of the Ring” pay-per-view out of 10 that aired from 1993 till 2002.
Other King of the Ring tournaments that were held in 1985-1989, 1991, 2006, 2008, 2010 & 2015 happened either during House Shows or during weekly TV shows.
Here are the PPV results:
– King of the Ring semi-final: Hunter Hearst Helmsley defeated Ahmed Johnson
– King of the Ring semi-final: Mankind defeated Jerry Lawler
– Goldust defeated Crush
– The Hart Foundation defeated The Legion of Doom & Sycho Sid
– King of the Ring final: Hunter Hearst Helmsley defeated Mankind
– Shawn Michaels wrestled Stone Cold Steve Austin to a double-DQ
– WWF World Heavyweight Championship: The Undertaker (c) defeated Faarooq
• Vince McMahon Reportedly Knows WWE’s Creative Process Is A Mess
Dean Ambrose had a lot to say about WWE’s inner workings and Vince McMahon during his appearance on Talk Is Jericho.
Wrestling Observer reached out to people in WWE to get their reaction on things Ambrose said about WWE and they noted that even Vince McMahon knows WWE’s creative process is a mess:
“One person who was not close to [Ambrose] at all and felt he was a guy who couldn’t be happy said they listened to him on the Jericho podcast and felt he was very honest from this perspective, that the system in place is obviously broken and that’s not a secret nor is there any doubt about it, and that even Vince McMahon realizes that.”