• On This Day In Pro Wrestling History (December 28, 1997) – WCW Starrcade 1997
On this day in Pro Wrestling history on December 28, 1997, Ted Turner’s World Championship Wrestling aired ‘WCW Starrcade 1997’ LIVE on PPV from the MCI Center in Washington, DC.
This was the 15th annual Starrcade event out of 18 that aired between 1983 and 2000, with the first 5 being promoted by Jim Crockett Promotions, before Turner bought the company.
Starrcade 1997 ended up being the pay-per-view with the most buys in WCW history!
Below are the results:
– WCW Cruiserweight Championship: Eddie Guerrero (c) defeated Dean Malenko
– Scott Norton, Vincent & Randy Savage defeated Ray Traylor & The Steiner Brothers
– Goldberg defeated Steve McMichael
– Raven’s Rules: Perry Saturn defeated Chris Benoit
– Buff Bagwell defeated Lex Luger
– WCW United States Heavyweight Championship: Diamond Dallas Page defeated Curt Hennig (c)
– Larry Zbyszko defeated Eric Bischoff by DQ
– WCW World Heavyweight Championship: Sting defeated Hollywood Hogan (c)
• Vince McMahon & WWE Sued Over XFL
A WWE shareholder (a Oklahoma firefighters pension fund) has filed a lawsuit against WWE and Vince McMahon over the XFL.
Bloomberg Law is reporting the following regarding this lawsuit:
“The lawsuit, filed Dec. 26 in Delaware Chancery Court by an Oklahoma firefighters pension fund, claims there is ‘a credible basis to believe’ that McMahon and other WWE senior officers breached their duties to investors by diverting valuable resources to the XFL.
The suit also suggests that the company’s board members may have failed to conduct appropriate oversight to ensure McMahon didn’t engage in transactions that conflict with WWE’s interests.”
We’ll keep you updated regarding this.
WATCH: Alexa Bliss Reacts To A Fan Calling Her “Hot As F*ck”: