• ON THIS DAY IN WCW HISTORY (May 20, 1989) – NWA World Wide
On this day in 1989, Ted Turner’s World Championship Wrestling aired an episode of their weekly TV show ‘NWA World Wide’.
This episode featured pre-taped matches & storyline segments on the road to the ‘NWA The Great American Bash 1989’ PPV.
The card can be found below:
– Sting vs. Ron Simmons
– Eddie Gilbert/Scott Steiner vs. Jack Victory/Enforcer
– Michael Hayes/Terry Gordy vs. Bucky Siegler/Greg Evans
– The Dynamic Dudes vs. Lee Scott/Raider
– Butch Reed vs. Cougar Jay
– The Samoan Swat Team vs. Road Warriors
• WWF Wanted Owen Hart To Carry Another Wrestler With Him During The Stunt At Over The Edge 1999
Owen Hart tragically passed away at WWF’s Over The Edge pay-per-view in 1999, when he was coming down from the ceiling and fell from almost 80 feet to his death.
The Wrestling Observer reported that WWF wanted a second wrestler alongside Owen for the stunt:
“Originally they wanted Max Mini, the midget, the mini — they wanted Owen to be carrying him at the same time, but he said no. He was like ‘No way’.
Owen wanted to say no, but he had turned down so many angles that he felt ‘if I say no one more time they’re just going to bury me’. I don’t think they would ever fire him because he was too talented to fire for turning down an angle. [WWF] wouldn’t have been happy and they would have gone, ‘Ah this guy doesn’t want to do business’.”
Sadly, Owen lost his life, but Max was fortunate enough to make it safe out of the event.