• “You want us to make an exception for you?” – Vince McMahon After Banning Former WWE Wrestler From Doing The Shooting Star Press
On an episode of WWE Velocity back in the day, former Cruiserweight Champion Paul London hit Nunzio with a Shooting Star Press and got a standing ovation backstage.
However, Vince McMahon told him to stop doing this move.
Here’s what London said on Rene Dupree’s Cafe de Rene podcast:
“Vince was like, ‘If you start doing that move, other guys are gonna wanna start doing it, and Rey [Mysterio] is gonna start doing it’.
I was like, ‘Rey’s not gonna do that! Nobody’s gonna do that move. It’s my finisher.’ ‘Oh, so you want us to make an exception for you?’ Jesus Christ, it’s like I’m talking to a goddam mannequin.”
Dean Malenko, who was a backstage producer at the time, went to talk to Vince about it later, but Vince didn’t change his mind.
Below is what London said:
“We walk in and, I kid you not, in under a minute, we go in, he looks at Vince, he’s like, ‘Excuse me, sir, what is this you don’t want him [doing]? No more top-rope moves?’
He goes, ‘Yeah, no more off the top,’ and Dean just goes, ‘Okay,’ and just walks out. The tail was not only between his legs, it was up his a$$.”
WATCH: Candice Michelle Stripped (Part 1):
• ON THIS DAY IN WCW HISTORY (May 28, 1998) – WCW Thunder
On this day in 1998, Ted Turner’s World Championship Wrestling aired another episode of their weekly TV show ‘WCW Thunder’.
This episode was pre-taped at the Nashville Municipal Auditorium in Nashville, Tennessee and featured matches & storyline segments on the road to the ‘WCW The Great American Bash 1998’ PPV.
The card of the show can be found here:
1. The Barbarian vs. Jim Powers
2. Jim Neidhart & The British Bulldog vs. High Voltage
3. Glacier vs. Van Hammer
4. No. 1 Contender (TV Title) Best Of Seven Series – Match #2: Booker T vs. Chris Benoit
5. WCW World TV Title: Fit Finlay vs. Brad Armstrong
6. Saturn vs. Barry Darsow
7. WCW United States Heavyweight Title: Goldberg vs. Barry Horowitz