• ON THIS DAY IN WCW HISTORY (May 24, 2000) – WCW Thunder
On this day in 2000, Ted Turner’s World Championship Wrestling aired an episode of their weekly TV show ‘WCW Thunder’ on TBS.
This episode was pre-taped at the Wendler Arena in Saginaw, Michigan and featured matches & storyline segments on the road to the ‘WCW The Great American Bash 2000’ PPV.
The card of the show can be found here:
1. WCW Cruiserweight Title: Daffney vs. Chris Candido vs. TAFKA Prince Iaukea
2. WCW Hardcore Title: Terry Funk vs. Shane Douglas vs. Norman Smiley
3. The Filthy Animals vs. The Misfits in Action
4. Tables Match: Chuck Palumbo vs. The Wall
5. Billy Kidman & Horace Hogan vs. Kronik
6. G.I. Bro (Booker T) vs. Shawn Stasiak
7. WCW World Heavyweight Title: Kevin Nash vs. Jeff Jarrett vs. Scott Steiner
• RAW Wrestler Says The Undertaker Character Doesn’t Work Today
While speaking on this week’s After The Bell podcast, Seth Rollins discussed The Undertaker breaking kayfabe and allowing WWE to do a docuseries on him.
Below is what Rollins said:
“The smart thing about this with Taker is, he did it at the right time in his career.
12-year-old you, if you had seen The Last Ride, it would have ruined everything. But we didn’t have that and he wasn’t in the prime of his career.
His character doesn’t work today. There are some weird exceptions, Bray Wyatt comes to mind from an ultra-character perspective who sort of slides by a little bit or gets a pass. The Undertaker character is so supernatural, so now that he’s at this point in his life where he is comfortable transitioning out of the character and into Mark Calaway, it makes it okay for me to watch it and see him being a human being.
In the long run, I think it will help him transition into being himself and retirement and whatever the next phase of The Undertaker looks like.
He did it cleverly. It wasn’t, one day he’s The Deadman; the next day, here’s The Last Ride. He used the story with AJ Styles to lead him into this place where he’s at and he can be The Undertaker on social media too.”