• ON THIS DAY IN WWF HISTORY (February 28, 1987) – WWF Superstars of Wrestling
On this day in 1987, the World Wrestling Federation aired an episode of their weekly TV show ‘WWF Superstars of Wrestling’.
This episode was pre-taped at the New Haven Civic Center in New Haven, Connecticut and featured matches & storyline segments on the road to the ‘WWF WrestleMania III’ PPV.
Here is the card:
1. Contract signing between Hulk Hogan & Andre the Giant for their title match at WrestleMania III
2. Billy Jack Haynes vs. King Kong Bundy
3. Fabulous Rougeau Brothers vs. Dave Wagner & Rick Renslow
4. Honky Tonk Man vs. Jerry Monti
5. Kamala vs. David Stoudemire
6. Piper’s Pit w/ British Bulldogs & Tito Santana
7. Rick Martel, Tom Zenk & Lanny Poffo vs. Greg Valentine, Brutus Beefcake & Adrian Adonis
• Real Reason Behind Vince McMahon Booking Goldberg To Defeat The Fiend
WWE Hall of Famer Goldberg defeated “The Fiend” Bray Wyatt to become the new Universal Champion, and he will now defend the Title at WrestleMania 36.
The match that’s now set to take place for the Universal Championship at WrestleMania 36 is Goldberg vs. Roman Reigns.
Vince McMahon’s plan has always been for Reigns to capture the Universal Title at WrestleMania 36 (a title that he was forced to relinquish back in 2018 due to leukemia).
However, Vince knows Reigns would’ve been heavily booed if he beat The Fiend at WrestleMania.
So Vince ended up changing the plan, and booked Goldberg to defeat The Fiend to capture the Universal Title, while being fully aware that Goldberg would draw massive heat for this on Social Media.
By making this move, Vince McMahon is reportedly confident that Reigns is going to get a massive babyface reaction when he defeats Goldberg to win the Universal Championship at WrestleMania 36, especially since WrestleMania is taking place in Florida and that’s where Roman is from.
Also, Vince feels Goldberg vs. Roman Reigns is a bigger draw for WrestleMania 36 than The Fiend vs. Roman Reigns.
WATCH: The Undertaker Having Fun With His Daughter (Part 1):