• Ruthless Aggression Era Veteran Celebrates His Birthday
Ruthless Aggression Era Veteran John Morrison (Real name: John Hennigan) turns 39 today.
After some time in WWE’s developmental promotion OVW Ohio Valley Wrestling, he finally joined the main roster (RAW brand) in 2004 as Eric Bischoff’s personal assistant “Johnny Nitro”.
He would then join his real-life-girlfriend Melina and Joey Mercury to form the successful SmackDown Tag Team ‘MNM’.
In mid-2007 ,he was drafted to the ‘ECW on ScyFy’ brand, where he changed his name to “John Morrison” and won the vacant ECW World Heavyweight Title at the Vengeance 2007 PPV, replacing Chris Benoit.
In Lucha Underground, he called himself “Johnny Mundo”, while he’s now known as “Johnny Impact” in TNA (iMPACT Wrestling).
• On This Day In Pro Wrestling History (October 3, 2004) – WWE No Mercy 2004
On this day in Pro Wrestling history on October 3, 2004, World Wrestling Entertainment aired ‘WWE No Mercy 2004’ LIVE on PPV from the Continental Airlines Arena in East Rutherford, New Jersey.
This pay-per-view featured the Superstars of the WWE SmackDown brand.
Here are the PPV results:
– Eddie Guerrero defeated Luther Reigns
– WWE Cruiserweight Championship: Spike Dudley (c) defeated Nunzio
– Billy Kidman defeated Paul London
– WWE Tag Team Championship: Kenzo Suzuki & René Duprée (c) defeated Rey Mysterio & Rob Van Dam
– Big Show defeated Kurt Angle
– Best of five series (Final) – WWE United States Championship: John Cena defeated Booker T (c)
– Charlie Haas, Miss Jackie & Rico defeated Dawn Marie & The Dudley Boyz
– Last Ride match for the WWE Championship: John “Bradshaw” Layfield (c) defeated The Undertaker
• Shawn Michaels Could’ve Been In Brock Lesnar’s Spot At WrestleMania 30, According To New Interview
During an interview with Inside The Ropes earlier this year, WWE Hall of Famer Shawn Michaels revealed the one time where he was really tempted to come out of retirement:
“It was probably about four years after I retired, there was an idea that was, it was with ‘Taker again. But it was just from a creative standpoint, it was easily the most intriguing idea, one of those ones where my wife said, ‘oh, that’s pretty cool’. And that was the one, when I said no, she said ‘you really are done’.”
HBK retired back in 2010, so 4 years after that would be 2014 – WrestleMania 30. Could this mean that the ‘most intriguing idea’ was for HBK to come out of retirement to end The Undertaker’s undefeated WrestleMania streak instead of Brock Lesnar?
HBK also talked about why he has resisted the urge to return to in-ring action:
“It’s because it just felt so…complete. It felt like I had spent 25 years painting this picture and then all of a sudden one day I stood back and I looked at it and said the picture is done. I sat there and looked at it and I thought, ‘I like it.’ I thought it was beautiful and I just signed my name at the bottom and said, ‘that’s it’.”
However, this could change soon as HBK is expected to come out of retirement on November 2 at the WWE Crown Jewel PPV in Saudi Arabia.