WWE News

Update Regarding Brian Christopher’s Death Case

Brian Christopher Lawler Grandmaster Sexay Too Cool 2 Much


On this day in 1999, the World Wrestling Federation aired an episode of their weekly TV show ‘WWF Sunday Night HEAT’.

It was pre-taped at the Arrowhead Pond in Anaheim, California and featured matches, interviews & storyline segments on the road to the ‘WWF In Your House 27: St. Valentine’s Day Massacre’ PPV.

The card can be found right here:

1. Big Bossman vs. Jeff Jarrett

2. Intercontinental Title: Ken Shamrock vs. Owen Hart

3. WWF Title – Empty Arena Match: The Rock vs. Mankind

• Update Regarding Brian Christopher’s Death Case

Old School WWF Attitude Era Veteran Brian Christopher (a.k.a Grandmaster Sexay), son of WWE Hall of Famer Jerry Lawler, passed away last year at the age of 46.

Before we provide the update, we would like to tell you the whole story (in case you’ve forgotten).

During an interview with ABC 24 in Memphis, WWE Hall of Famer Jerry “The King” Lawler revealed the conversation he had with his late son Brian Christopher Lawler prior to Brian’s death.

Lawler noted that the stories told by the Sheriff and the eyewitnesses didn’t match at all and they were confused.

Below is what Lawler said:

“It seems like a nightmare that we can’t wake up from. It seems like every day something new comes up. We hear something from someone who was either an eyewitness to the incidents that happened the day that Brian died or people who have heard stories about just different things that went on in the jail.

Even as recently as two days ago someone in the jail is still using Brian’s identity and was caught for identity theft.

At 10:30 that morning I was in Raleigh North Carolina. I received a phone call from Brian — a collect call that’s monitored and recorded and it’s timed, fifteen minutes is all you can talk at a time. That morning though, he talked perfectly rational, perfectly normal.

He just went on a little bit that we had had a meeting a couple of weeks ago with the Sheriff and Brian just went on about how none of the stuff that the Sheriff promised would take place had taken place and he just talked about the bad conditions there in the jail.

We got cut off mid-sentence after fifteen minutes and we didn’t hear anything until about 2:30 in the afternoon my fiance Lauren got a call from someone — actually I spoke with this Sheriff and he said Brian had been involved in an altercation with another inmate — there was a fight — the Sheriff’s actual words were: ‘Brian was acting a fool and picking a fight with someone he shouldn’t have picked a fight with.’

[Christopher] got a laceration over his eye and they stitched him up and he was fine. Of course, we heard later on from an eyewitness to that fight that it went nothing like what the Sheriff said.

Then a few hours later I get another call in Raleigh from a Deputy Sheriff saying: ‘Mr. Lawler, I’ve got some bad news. Your son Brian has hung himself in the jail. So it was just… from talking to Brian earlier in the day and hearing about the incident in the afternoon and then all the way to the fact that he was gone that evening it just doesn’t add up.

So many of the eyewitnesses who have spoken to us and gotten in touch with us… the stories just don’t jive.”

For those who are wondering how the stories from the sheriff and the eyewitness don’t match, you can read our previous report regarding this case below:

A photo of Brian Christopher’s neck was released and it looks like he didn’t hang himself (as originally noted).

Jerry Lawler has been saying from the get-go that he doesn’t believe his son committed suicide.

Below is the photo of Brian’s neck that was released:

Brian Christopher's Neck Photo After Death

Below is what Lawler said after seeing Brian’s neck:

“Just look at his neck and look at his hand. You can see the lines on his neck all the way around here to here and what would be the length of your hand as if he was trying to keep the pressure off. We’ve received literally countless calls, text messages from people, actual eyewitnesses, that were in the jail and saw things that happened on the actual day that Brian died that now has opened up a new can of worms. It just doesn’t seem like it was suicide.”

Below is what Jerry’s lawyer Ted Hansom said:

“I think the pictures indicate something other than someone hanging himself with a shoelace.”

During an edition of Dinner With The King podcast, Lawler revealed the following information:

“Since our last podcast, we’ve got a ton of information and a ton of contact and people reaching out about information about what really happened. I know everything that was reported said Brian committed suicide by hanging himself. Now since that time, at least I’m certain – in a lot of people’s minds and certainly in mine – we have serious doubts if that actually happened.

Right now we’re not at liberty to discuss, some of the things we’re not at liberty to discuss. The Tennessee Bureau Of Investigation is conducting their own investigation into what happened and it’s still an on-going investigation at this time. Once they finish that they will report to the Attorney General in Hardeman County, unfortunately, that’s the same place that the jail and the Sheriff and to me it all seems like a network. You know that’s what we’ve been hearing goes on in Hardeman County it’s just been very frustrating. The sad thing is nothing is going to bring Brian back.

Nobody who saw Brian in his last few moments is talking to us. But everybody who was in the jail with Brian that day swears – one of the guys he said to me, ‘Mr. Lawler I got $92 to my name, but if I had $9 million I would bet all of it that Brian didn’t hang himself.’ These aren’t any people who have anything to gain by talking to us. as a matter of fact, a lot of them are scared and are worried about their own safety after talking to us and telling us some of the things that went on in the jail that day.

It’s really frustrating to hear these things but we’re just really trying to find out what happened to Brian.

Once we see the results of that investigation, then we might have to launch an investigation of our own. This is not about a lawsuit or trying to sue the jail or sue the Sheriff or sue the county or anything. It’s not about that at all. It’s just about finding out what really happened here.

They said he was hanged by shoelaces and there are a couple pictures of Brian’s neck where it’s almost the bruising from what would be a shoelace apparently, and it goes around and it stops on the front of his neck. The bruising stops at what would be the distance of his hand. When you look at a picture of his hand, there’s bruising that looks like the side of his neck going along the inside of Brian’s hand.

To me, it looks like he had his hand trying to pull something off of his neck that may have been choking him. Those pictures aren’t consistent with somebody hanging themselves. So there’s just a lot of stuff that we have talked about a little but there’s still a lot of stuff we can’t talk about right now.

There’s even questions about the surveillance cameras at the jail. This is a fairly new jail with supposed upgrades. Some of the inmates said that cameras are everywhere and one of the inmates said you can walk over in the pod and start to pick up a piece of paper and a voice would come over the intercom — ‘Don’t pick up that piece of paper!’ — it’s like they were being watched at every step they made inside this jail.

So if that’s the case, then why haven’t they come forward with video of what took place. We have also heard – this is a rumor though that we have to substantiate – that twenty of their surveillance cameras were inoperable. So there’s a lot of things we have to find out from the jail and the correction officers. Every inmate’s movements should be tracked all day long so we’re just going to keep searching until we find out.”

In an update to this case, Lawler’s attorneys have filed two subpoenas to demand answers from the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation and The Hardeman County Sheriff’s Office with the ongoing investigation of Brian’s death.

Attorney Jeff Rosenblum said the following during an interview with ABC-24:

“We were tired of waiting. This family has waited for more than six months for the Hardeman County Sheriff’s Department to provide them with detailed explanation and the documentation as to what happened to their son and we decided that we would take this into our own hands.”

To Top