• On This Day In Pro Wrestling History (June 8, 1997) – WWF King of the Ring 1997
On this day in Pro Wrestling history on June 8, 1997, the World Wrestling Federation aired ‘King of the Ring 1997’ LIVE on PPV from the Providence Civic Center in Providence, Rhode Island.
This was the 5th annual “King of the Ring” pay-per-view out of 10 that aired from 1993 till 2002.
Other King of the Ring tournaments that were held in 1985-1989, 1991, 2006, 2008, 2010 & 2015 happened either during House Shows or during weekly TV shows.
Here are the PPV results:
– King of the Ring semi-final: Hunter Hearst Helmsley defeated Ahmed Johnson
– King of the Ring semi-final: Mankind defeated Jerry Lawler
– Goldust defeated Crush
– The Hart Foundation defeated The Legion of Doom & Sycho Sid
– King of the Ring final: Hunter Hearst Helmsley defeated Mankind
– Shawn Michaels wrestled Stone Cold Steve Austin to a double-DQ
– WWF World Heavyweight Championship: The Undertaker (c) defeated Faarooq
• Cody Rhodes Reacts To A Fan Who Praised NXT TakeOver: In Your House While Criticizing AEW
A lot of fans liked the ending and the show as a whole, especially with the return of the old school In Your House entrance set.
A fan tweeted about how NXT shows don’t need to feature “blade jobs” to make them feel edgier and tagged Cody Rhodes, Tony Khan, AEW in the tweet, thus taking a shot at how often Cody bleeds in his matches in AEW.
This resulted in Cody tweeting the following:
“Glad you enjoyed it!”
Cody later deleted his tweet.
WATCH: Liv Morgan’s Buns In A Bikini – Part 2: