• “Vince fought for me hard” – The Godfather
WWF Legend The Godfather (aka Papa Shango) appeared as the guest on the latest episode of Steve Austin’s Broken Skull Sessions, where he talked about his controversial pimp gimmick and how Vince McMahon saw the gimmick.
Here’s what Charles Wright, the man behind the gimmick, told Stone Cold when asked about turning into ‘The Goodfather’, when joining Right To Censor:
“Hated it, absolutely. This is the only time in wrestling where I did not like what I was doing. It was so hard.
First of all, Vince fought for me hard. He used to tell me, ‘Charles, I’m trying, man, but they’re coming after you hard. I’m trying’.
If it was up to Vince, he would have kept that gimmick going forever, but he was taking a lot of heat for what I was doing.
So he’s like, ‘Well, we’re gonna poke fun at this group for a minute and then try to get back to The Godfather’.”
WATCH: New Footage Of Former WWE Diva Emma’s Hot Buns (Part 2):
• ON THIS DAY IN WWF HISTORY (June 2, 1990) – WWF Superstars of Wrestling
On this day in 1990, the World Wrestling Federation aired an episode of their weekly TV show ‘WWF Superstars of Wrestling’.
This episode was pre-taped at the LaCrosse Center in La Crosse, Wisconsin and featured matches & storyline segments on the road to the ‘WWF SummerSlam 1990’ PPV.
Here’s the match-card:
1. Brutus Beefcake vs. Jim Ruby
2. The Orient Express vs. Paul Roma & Greg Frent
3. Dusty Rhodes vs. Tony Leone
4. Dino Bravo vs. George Anderson
5. Nikolai Volkoff vs. Boris Zhukov
6. The Bushwhackers vs. Black Bart & Kent Carlson
7. Jim Duggan vs. Al Burke